Tuesday, October 30, 2012

The Magic of Spray Paint: Halloween Part 2

So on the eve of Halloween, I have my second set of decorations for you - a la spray paint.  Now these could easily be parlayed into a (dare I say) "harvest" decor - I'll likely keep them around until I start the Christmas decoration blitz - so don't let my tardiness get you down - these are easy.

Now for starters, I took inspiration from Pinterest on this project, and while it wasn't a complete Pintrosity, it came close at times.

I should have known better when the "DIY steps" were listed in the Pinterest caption and the link was to Pottery Barn... You guessed it - I wanted to try the ever popular pin - DIY Mercury Glass Pumpkins...with spray paint.

deceiving image actually via not so accurate instructions/inspiration via
 
Considering that the "large" pumpkin shown is $40 and the "small" aka micro pumpkin is $25 I was thinking: "if I could even remotely pull this off, just think how much I'd save!"  Basically this Pinterest project suggests purchasing Krylon Looking Glass spray paint, spraying some plastic crummy pumpkins and then misting the not-yet-dry-paint with water to create the Mercury Glass-esque swirls.
 
Well let's just say my impatience may have played a role in this mess.  For starters, I couldn't find this so called "Looking Glass" color even after checking Michaels, Home Depot and Lowes.  So because I'm not a quitter, I picked up some Krylon Chrome.  Ok, easy enough.  I also grabbed some slightly ugly (again with all the shades of orange and tan!) plastic pumpkins from the $1 spot at Target (I basically live there)
 
that's my little plant mister in blue
 
So I apply the first coat of "chrome" to the first pumpkin and apprehensively mist on some water.
 
My pumpkin immediately looked like it had a case of severe acne.
 
pimple pumpkin
 
I'm not sure if it was the texture of the pumpkin, the fact that I wasn't using this hard to find "looking glass" or that I didn't have legit directions, but when I sprayed the other pumpkin with "chrome" (sans any water misting) it looked fine
 
acne free pumpkin
 
So now I was stuck, one with pimples and one without so in an effort to have a somewhat similar looking pair, I ended up spraying a little on the "good" pumpkin as well.  I mean, it's Halloween - things are supposed to look a little ugly - right?
 
Then I took time some time off to let these pumpkins sit, err eat some Halloween candy - whatever.  I came back the next day with a bottle that fixes everything - GLITTER!  For $2.50, a little spray bottle of silver glitter mostly masked the imperfections and gave them most of that sparkle I was looking for from a Mercury Glass finish in the first place.
 

sparkle pimple pumpkin.
 
Never one to miss out on an opportunity to zhush - I added some little stripey bows from my BOO project.  I paired these with 2 white pumpkins (purchased at Michaels for 50% off and without ANY of the hassle) on our mantel in the den.
 
 
 perfect pair of pumpkins - just couldn't help myself.
 
So, not a total Pintrosity, but like I said, we came close on this one. 
 
On a completely unrelated note: hope all my East Coast friends are safe and dry today!  My heart breaks for all ya'll and the devastation in your area!
 
xoxo,
KC
 

1 comment:

  1. Really cute, Kate! (And I don't think they look 'pimpley' at all....) Hope the block party was fun last night with all your new neighbors!!!

    ReplyDelete