Monday, October 29, 2012

Weekend Recap: Finishing Details

So the title of this post would have you believe that we're close to finishing the house.  That's probably 55% true.  As it stands we've got 80% of the "improvements" we want to complete in the first year done - but only on the main level and upstairs. 

Random sidebar that will totally make sense soon...

Every year we have a BIG Christmas party - this will be my 10th year to host!  I LOVE LOVE LOVE Christmas and decorations and cookies and carols and all of it!  And our annual Christmas party really is just a big way to say thank you and Merry Christmas to all our nearest and dearest, which given the work and cost, works out pretty well as a massive "gift" to most everyone we know.

The thing is this will be another year of first for us when it comes to Christmas.  It's going to be my first Christmas away from my fam (eek, still can't quite talk about that one...) and our first Christmas in our first home.  This is also the first year that we're inviting a LOT of people from our respective companies to our annual party - holy pressure! This will also be the first time A LOT of people (new friends and lots of old!) get to see the house.

Naturally I have begun planning.  In October.
 
Step 1 of my plan includes finishing the other 20% of "improvements" we want to make to the house.  This means, finish the crown, finish the baseboards, finally paint all that stupid trim, add a back splash in the kitchen, put up window treatments, etc. etc. etc. forever x infinity - or so it feels.
 
Step 2, and the MUCH more exciting step in general, is lots of zhushing.  Again, naturally I jumped the gun this weekend and skipped ahead to Step 2.  While we did paint a lot of trim and get out the razor blades to scrape paint off window panes, I also happened upon an AMAZING sale Friday.
 
Enter RugsUSA.com and their incredible 60% off sale.
I was able to snag two huge 8x10 rugs: 1 for our bedroom and 1 for the dining room!
 
Rugs USA Homespun Trellis Sunshine Rug
via for the dining room this actually has a grey design which will be a perfect tie to the living room.
 
Rugs USA Tuscan Chevron Flatwoven Sand Rug
via for the master!
 
Also, not sure why this is showing a blue border on both rugs, but that's not actually on there.  I CANNOT wait for these two rugs to show up on my doorstep this week! 
 
Surprisingly enough, I think the dining room might be the first room finished - I have a fun and inexpensive wall decor DIY that I'm going to try out later this week and then this should be pretty close to done.
 
We did tackle some annoying things from Step 1's project list this weekend, but let's be honest, none of you care about how my dutch door is now a new, hardly noticeable but brighter, shade of sparkly white.  Although I must say, I feel incrementally better about the kitchen now!
 
This week, we'll finish the trim painting once and for all, and make a plan for the crown, base and cornice boards with my brother in law - cannot wait for those!  Then we'll have to figure out if we have time to tackle Step 3 before the party, which I'm terribly excited about but can't get too ahead of myself with.  You'll just have to wait and see like me, if we get there in time!
 
Pick up any free or cheap thrills this weekend?
 
xoxo,
KC
 

1 comment:

  1. Katie, Katie, Katie -- I don't know where you get it....

    (LOL)

    ReplyDelete