Monday, June 18, 2012

Weekend Recap: Committed Couples

Sorry for the radio silence last week!  As predicted, work was INSANE.  Doesn't look like it will be slowing down much this week but I have some posts already in the hopper to keep us going.

Recently my father in law said that he's changed his wedding gift giving philosophy to reflect this "DIY craze" that people are in.  Instead of getting something off a registry, he now gets new couples a gift card to a restaurant, a gift card to the movie theater and a gift card to Home Depot, because "that's what people do now on Saturdays." He calls this "Committed Couples Weekends" 

Of course I instantly thought of the scene in Old School where Will Ferrell details his weekend plans of going to Bed Bath and Beyond and Home Depot, and instead of thinking that's lame (you know, how I did when I first saw that movie, circa 2002) now I'm like, "ya, great idea, we can hit Sam's Club on the way home."  such.is.my.life.



I reluctantly tell you that we've had TWO Committed Couples Friday nights in a row now.  Last Friday there was the trip to the Container Store, and this week we got Mexican food and after some margaritas, we headed to Lowes for boxwoods for the front porch, an additional hose, hose splitter and sprinkler.

SIDE NOTE: I am still a loyal Home Depot customer, but decided to hit Lowes with some of our moving coupons.  We went to Home Depot Saturday morning and spent twice as much, partly out of repentance.

It was somewhere in the garden section as we debated the merits of bronze splitters over stainless, that we burst into a fit of laughter both embarrassed and deliriously happy that this is our life now, and somehow, we're OK with it.

Saturday we helped our step-brother in law (also our baseboard installer!) move into his first apartment!  These are D's Saturday errand glasses that were from some free promo bag several years ago and look like fake Oakleys, but serve as great back up glasses to keep in my car.  My sister, M, says they look like running glasses that would "make you go fast" - I don't know about that one though.




After testing out our new hose stuff all day Saturday, we got a surprise thunderstorm Saturday night.  D went to turn off the back porch light and ran into this guy clinging onto the sliding door as the rain came down.  I have to note that he's not actually 5 feet large (as my in laws would later ask) it must be the perspective.




Yesterday we had our first gathering at our new house!  We LOVE to entertain (call it the southern in me) and were so excited to have a big huge farmhouse style outside dinner under our big trees in the back, but with the Saturday rain it got that nice (read disgusting) Missouri humid that we've been missing lately.  We moved the celebration inside and it was nice to have a house full of little laughs, glasses of blueberry-thyme lemonade and mint iced tea and a table full of lovies. We even snuck in some wiffle ball when it cooled down a bit.

It was lovely to celebrate with the in-laws but I did miss Big T, who's was actually visiting his Dad, my Grampa (that's how we say it, so that's how we spell it folks!) in Wisconsin.  The Mitchell clan plus us newly Cornwells will rendezvous north of Tornoto, Ontario over the Fourth (I know very unAmerican of us!) for a belated Father's Day celebration and mini vacation on the lake.  Can't wait to see my Mitchells and give hugs all around!

xoxo,
KC

No comments:

Post a Comment