Thursday, September 6, 2012

Somethings Old

In addition to my little hampers, I also worked on spiffing up a new-to-me piece of furniture over the holiday weekend, and hatching a master master bedroom plan!

Currently, in our bedroom we have a "step in" closet, as D likes to refer to it, which is about 3 and a half feet deep and over 6 feet wide.  It's great and houses a lot more than our old closets did (yes, we were in two closets, in different rooms), but it's still not enough for ALL of our junk.  D has a ton of sneakers and sweaters and surprise: I have LOTS of shoes and purses, not to mention all our unmentionables and work out clothes, t-shirts, etc.  So while we have a bigger closet, we're both currently still relegated to two dressers (his being in his office, mine in our bedroom) and two additional closets semi-full of purses/shoes/sweaters/etc.

My jewelry has also become quite the collection.  Being from Texas, I LOVE big, chunky, bright (and sometimes gaudy) jewelry and while I have a pretty jewelry box, it has just started to overflow.

And with that, here comes my master master bedroom plan!

I'd like to add in two new (likely refurbished or painted) three or four drawer dressers to act as big ole chunky nightstands and use those as overflow for some of our currently displaced belongings.

love this chunky chest.  spotted originally in either Elle Decor or House Beautiful and then rediscovered on Pinterest!
 
recreation: stumbled upon a pair of these at one of my local favs 
just a tiny bit too tall for our space

Then cram additional stuff into my dresser (thereby becoming OUR dresser) and move all my jewelry into a separate little new-to-me piece, which should free up some space that I'm currently hogging in the closet.

new-to-me piece snagged at an outdoor flee for super cheap - look at those caster feet!
 
So here's the thing about this new little vanity.  It sat in my garage and I thought and thought about what to do with this. I even went and picked out paint chips and decided on one, and then when I went to look at this little guy in the garage before a weekend trip to the Home Depot, I realized I felt really bad about painting this when it has such a beautiful, original stain and pretty patina to it. Whew, Holy run on....  So I haven't really touched it. I bought some scratch cover and polish and scrubbed it good before bringing it in and then tried out a few new knob looks.
 
of course, it's already in a state of disarray.  Went with the top knobs also from
White Rabbit, and with dainty little details
 
So the other thing is that this piece is old, like REALLY old, so in order to freshen it up a bit and feel less like I was using someone's gramma's makeup table, I grabbed some pretty scrapbook paper and decoupage and went to work.
 

turns out gingham doesn't photograph well.
 
Ultimately I plan on collecting a bunch of mini tea cups from thrift stores and putting them in at least the first drawer so store all my baubles - similar to Miss. Camila's.
 
doesn't this look so nice and organized? via.
 
But all that aside, I'm still stuck on to paint or not to paint.  With the new chunky dresser/night stands I want either painted white furniture or lime wood/mango wood (no surprise there - the obsession continues) The problem is the dresser that's currently in there and will stay in there - it is also this same stain of dark wood.  I feel like now its just too much wood and the dresser isn't even really that nice, it's mostly solid wood but from JCP several years ago.  My major problem is that I feel bad about painting the vanity but I think it would be more difficult to paint the dresser.  Something's gotta give and D's dresser is no better - it's black.
 
So - what would you do? Paint the vanity or keep it original?
 
 
Also as a VERY important side note: Happy Birthday to the best dad I know, Big T we love you!
 
 
xoxo,
KC


No comments:

Post a Comment