Monday, August 20, 2012

Weekend Recap X 3

Hello all!  Sorry for the radio silence these past few weeks (eek, going on 17ish days!)  I've been in town for a whole 12 days - I think it's my longest continuous stretch this summer - and I've been savoring every minute of it.

To catch you up since we last chatted.  I headed to Texas for my BFF's Tex Mex themed bridal shower.  Somewhere between the homemade sour cream chicken enchiladas and brisket tacos I completely forgot to take pictures of all the cute details but here's the gist: E's mom, Miss. T is basically one of the BEST cooks I've ever known and she also happens to be Miss Martha.  We had homemade Tex Mex spices in baby mason jars as favors and a chocolate carmel flan cake with homemade ganache for dessert.  DELISH.  A few margaritas and lots of pool time may also have gotten in the way of my ability to capture the moment.....

chips and 4 kinds of homemade salsa.  legit. also not my pic.


 E and her fabulous parents. and not my pic.

this might have also happened.  a late night texas tradition.


After a weekend full of festivities and a quick jaunt to Ikea, I headed from Dallas to Seattle for work (cramming some new 108" Ikea white curtains into my carry on).  I work for a CPG company, and I work on our Amazon business which is experiencing such an exciting growth period.  In the time I've worked on their account, they've built six, fully owned buildings in downtown Seattle, complete with several bars and restaurants on campus.

Visiting Amazon is like visiting a diverse little country.  Everything is so compact and insular like its own little ecosystem, and yet its bursting at the seams with diversity (still haven't been in an elevator where everyone is speaking the same language) and youth (EVERYONE is under 35) It's exciting to feel the buzz in their buildings and get the tiniest glimpse of their culture.  Even though they are a multi billion dollar company, they still all have the door-desks (this is the best written story I could find) and a very minimalist aesthetic.


their new offices, very green. and no I did not take this particular creepy full on pic.  I found it on the internet. but i HAVE taken similar creepy pics but much more covertly. duh.

Last note on Amazon, and probably the most important: every time I go there I see new kinds of dogs.  You can bring your dogs to work as long as they are well behaved and given the hours these people put it, it seems like its the only humane way of having a dog and still working there. BUT my point is I've never seen so many crazy cute pups and because people come from all over the world to work there, you see some crazy dogs that are not usually found in the US.  Case in point? This guy.

so obviously this is a glamour shot of a Pharaoh dog and not as seen in real life at Amazon,
but you get the point.



So since my Dallas/Seattle six day trip, I've been back in the Lou catching up on boring life chores (see laundry, buying dog food, dusting) and doing a lot of tinkering.  What's tinkering you ask?  It's moving things around and busying yourself without actually doing much of anything productive. 

Examples of tinkering include staring at your furniture and saying "this doesn't look quite right." and asking/begging your husband to help you move things around.  You complete this cycle at least three times.  Tinkering can also be taking items from one area of the house to another area, thereby filling one "hole" and creating another.  i.e. "we need another light in the office." and now there is no light in the family room, way to go.

We have zhushed the living room a bit more with two lamp additions, so me and D can see each other's faces and the whole world can now see inside our living room (Shutters are still a work in progress...)  Evidence below.

promise to take some real pics of this room not instagramed up soon. 
must purchase real blooms first.

So now you can add tinkering to the words I've taught ya'll. Go forth and spread this rediculousness.  I'll be back later this week with more of it - promise!

xoxo,
KC


No comments:

Post a Comment